A Jammu resident who lost her son in a road accident 17 years ago


A Jammu resident who lost her son in a road accident 17 years ago, on April 5, finds image of his son in a city boy with deformed limbs who shares his date of his birth with death anniversary

When octogenarian Nimita (name changed on request), who always believed in destiny, met 17-year-old Nadeem Sheikh, she thought it was more than a coincidence. Seventeen years after her son died soon after amputation of legs following a road accident, Nimita was face to face with a teenager with deformed lower limbs in whom she saw image of her lost son. 

And she had reasons to believe so.  Mohd Nadeem Sheikh was going to turn 17, on April  5, the date on which her son had passed away. Besides she found a similarity between her son’s amputated legs and Nadeem’s deformed lower limbs.


Destiny’s designs
Nimita, a resident of Jammu, was visiting her relatives in Ahmedabad last month. A news report in Ahmedabad Mirror which had a detailed account of Nadeem’s aspirations, against all odds, caught her attention. Son of a milk vendor, Nadeem had excelled in his studies and was appearing in class 10 board examination. The report also mentioned that the young boy, aspired to be a surgeon and treat children born with complications similar to his.

“When I read about Nadeem, I had a strong urge to meet him as he reminded me of my son. After meeting him, when I came to know about his date of birth, I had little doubts that destiny had given me a chance to meet my son,” said Nimita, who traced Nadeem with the help of this correspondent. 

On her first meeting, Nimita handed over a cheque for Rs 1,500 to Nadeem and also assured his parents that she would continue to send him money every month so that he could meet the expenses for his education.

Nimita, who has been into charity and social work for last several years, was initially not willing that Mirror should report about her desire to support Nadeem. After much persuasion, she agreed but only after taking the promise that her identity would be protected.

“I always knew that with my hard work I will be able to become a successful doctor. And now I have another family member whose motivation and support is going to help me attain my goal,” said Nadeem


Mother’s hope 

Nadeem’s father Sheikh, a milk vendor who doubles up as auto driver, to make ends meet has no words to express his gratitude. 

“When Nadeem was young, people used to make fun of him for his complications. For us he was always a special child and he proved his abilities by taking active part in sports as well as in other activities. But people like her (Nimita) have now restored our faith in humanity. With her blessings, we are sure Nadeem would achieve his dream of becoming a leading surgeon,” Sheikh said. 

Nimita, too has high hopes of her ‘newly-found son’. Set to leave for her native place Jammu in a few days, she has already exchanged phone number and address of Nadeem for regular correspondence.

“I have severe pain in my legs and can’t walk properly. I am just waiting for you to grow up and become a doctor, so that you can treat me,” she tells him while wishing him a long life, on the eve of Nadeem’s birthday which coincides with her son’s death anniversary.


The woman handed over a cheque for Rs 1,500 to Nadeem (left) and also assured his family of more financial help for Nadeem’s studies